Skip to main content

A round of applause or making a point?


I speak with my hands.  I am a very physical speaker both with my face and my gestures.  The other day in one of my freshman classes, I made a statement to a student and clapped my hands after every word.  I wanted to emphasize what I was saying.  This was met with much more laughter than I expected.

Coincidentally, there was a Tweet I saw a few days later that had the handclap emoji between each word.  Ahhh.....


Clapping Hands on Twitter Twemoji 2.0

The hand clap emoji when used in succession is a round of applause

Clapping Hands on Twitter Twemoji 2.0Clapping Hands on Twitter Twemoji 2.0Clapping Hands on Twitter Twemoji 2.0Clapping Hands on Twitter Twemoji 2.0

Why thank you!

BetweenClapping Hands on Twitter Twemoji 2.0eachClapping Hands on Twitter Twemoji 2.0wordClapping Hands on Twitter Twemoji 2.0emphasizesClapping Hands on Twitter Twemoji 2.0yourClapping Hands on Twitter Twemoji 2.0pointClapping Hands on Twitter Twemoji 2.0

Look at me being all relevant without meaning to.

Where did this come from?

According to the website Bustle, and several others I looked at, it comes from the African American culture.  It  is called "The Black Girl Clap" used often when a woman is explaining something (generally to a man).

But online, according to Slate.com, it's become aggressive.  When you do this you are basically saying-you are an idiot, my opinion is the only one that matters.

That's pretty mean.  I'm not a mean social media person, so this is not my favorite.  I think I will be sticking to using the hand clap for applause.
Clapping Hands on Twitter Twemoji 2.0Clapping Hands on Twitter Twemoji 2.0Clapping Hands on Twitter Twemoji 2.0Clapping Hands on Twitter Twemoji 2.0

Comments