Skip to main content

If Insta is real and Finsta is fake, which one should I hope you give me to follow?


I love Instagram.

When Loryl told me that she would be creating an fake Instagram account (a Finsta) for her goldfish, I immediately thought that she was going to go a little risque for with it.  My "experience" with Finstas was from what Mrs. McMaster's daughter told me-it was where you created an alternate, fake you and posted goofy things you would never actually do.  You even gave it a bad name.  Needless to say, Loryl was shocked that this is where I thought she was going and I needed to get more information.



According to Urban dictionary:
spam Instagram account where people post what they are too afraid to post on the real account
Did you see Chris's finsta? It is so funny.
by rantmonster2319 June 16, 2016

And from dictionary.com/slang

What does finsta mean?

finsta is a secondary, usually private, Instagram account where users are more lax in deciding what they post. It’s a private space that might be more personally authentic and is shared with close friends. This is a contrast to someone’s main account, which might have more heavily curated content.
Hmm...not too off what I was told.  
After a little more digging, I found several articles that talked about how most people have 2 accounts.  One that is public and one that is just for close friends (and that one is the Finsta).  I think I sort of do this already because we (my husband and I) have a FB account and then we each have our Instagrams.  Plus I am on Twitter.  FB is for the family.  Instagram is more like my account where I don't worry about what I post because his family is not on it.  And Twitter is for me for entertainment.  I look more than I post.
2 reasons to have a Finsta:
1. To post with friends about fun things you did that you wouldn't want your work to see (nothing bad-like a fun night out or some such).  Since employers are really interested in what you post, having two accounts makes sense.  One user talked about changing her username every so many months.
2. To follow brands and other bloggers.  I thought this was a great idea!  I like to follow a lot of different people and sometimes my feed gets clogged up or I get behind and I miss cool things that my friends have posted.  So to have my real Instagram for me to read and post  and the Finsta to follow others and only look, that might work out well!

What I gather is that Instagram (Rinsta-the real one) is the perfect you, the curated, work ready, almost fake version with tons of followers and the Finstagram (Finsta-the fake one) is the real you, messy life and all with a handful of followers.  
That's confusing!  However, in a world where you have to be constantly aware of how you are perceived, the Finsta makes perfect sense to me.

Comments