Skip to main content

Since you asked...it's Gif (with a hard G)

The discussion began with changing the cat on Everett's blog.  Here's the Gif I used :)

But do I call it a Gif (with a hard G like Gift) or a Gif (with a soft J like Jiff)?
07_22_gif_01
According to Newsweek (article link ),  it should be the hard G, like Gift.  
Reasons:
*The "G" in GIF stands for Graphic, which is pronounced with a hard G. It's Graphic Interchange Format.
*"Gift" is GIF's closest neighbor. 
*A computer would pronounce the acronym with a hard "G."
*Our brains logically just want to pronounce it with a hard G. 

But the creator feels otherwise.  In his acceptance of the Webby Lifetime achievement award (Not going to lie-kind of cool to think about the real people who created the things that we use everyday and that there are awards for this stuff!).He says (Jiff)


I think I will probably still say it with the hard G because it makes sense to my brain.  
Image result for brain gif

Comments